hunting_the_hairy_rhinoceros_by_zdenek_burian_1951 (by it’s better than bad)
“Prehistoric Man,” vintage 1960 book. Illustration by Zdenek Burian.
Not the heraldic beast, but relevant. Even if you don’t post it, I hope you at least find it amusing.
Other relevant Teddy Roosevelt facts:
- He had asthma as a child, which didn’t stop him from becoming a boxer.
- A small child once threw a live badger at him. He named it Josiah and kept it as a pet in the White House. He also had a bear and a lion.
- He led the Rough Riders’ charge up San Juan Hill…on foot.
- He built the American museum of Natural History as a kind of lepidopterist’s “killing jar.” But instead of butterflies, he put dinosaurs inside and starved them UNTIL THEY WERE SKELETONS.*
- He once rode 100 miles in one day to prove a point to the army - namely, that riding 25 miles a day for cavalry training wasn’t that hard and they needed to stop whining about it.
- He explored a small part of the Amazon with his son Kermit; there’s a river there named after him.
*A fact confirmed by well-known historian John Hodgman